You’d need to have been living under a rock if you haven’t already heard about the new HomeBuilder Grant introduced on the 18th of June 2020.
It’s the Governments’ fundamental response to lessen the impact of COVID-19 on the Australian economy. And they’ve made the package very attractive to Defence Force Members.
On the go? Here’s 30 seconds of take outs:
- The HomeBuilder Grant provides $25,000 to eligible applicants to help build a new home or complete substantial renovations.
- You’ll be eligible if you’re an owner-occupier, you meet an income-criteria and are spending more than $150,000. This also assumes the cost of the new home is under $750,000 or the value of the existing home is not exceeding $1.5 million.
- The grant is available for first-home buyers (even with the first home buyer grant) and existing home owners.
- Defence members based in NSW can apply for the HomeBuilder Grant as an investment opportunity.
Keep reading >>
What is HomeBuilder?
HomeBuilder is an Australian Government grant package intended to increase activity in the residential construction sector and therefore boost the economy during the COVID-19 economic crisis. It will provide eligible applicants with a $25,000 grant to help build a new home or complete substantial renovations in an existing home.
Eligible applicants can apply for HomeBuilder when the relevant State or Territory Government that you live in, or plan to live in, signs the National Partnership Agreement with the Commonwealth Government.
Relevant Government Bodies
All Australian states and territories are currently developing an online portal that will allow you to lodge an application for the HomeBuilder Grant. It will be available shortly, but in the meantime you can access the appropriate HomeBuilder Grant guidelines for your state or territory to check your eligibility and learn what supporting documents you’ll need to prepare for your application:
ACT Revenue Office
What this means for Defence Force Members
According to Revenue NSW, the Defence Force Residence Exemption Announcement NSW states that “where an applicant was a member of the permanent forces of the Australian Defence Force and the applicant was enrolled on the NSW electoral roll at the date of the eligible HomeBuilder contract, then the applicant is exempt from the residence requirement”. Great news!
It essentially means that a Defence member based in NSW can apply for the HomeBuilder Grant as an investment opportunity. Even if they’ve used the NSW First Home-Owner Grant (FHOG).
Funding, financing and the HomeBuilder grant
The great thing is that the HomeBuilder grant can be used in conjunction with the current FHOG. So you can effectively double tap your grants! For example, right now in Queensland you can use the $15,000 FHOG plus the $25,000 HomeBuilder grant as well as Stamp Duty exemption! All of this adds up to great investment potential!
The HomeBuilder Grant cannot be used as funds to complete* the purchase of the property but, at the time this blog was being written, some banks will let you use the FHOG as funds to complete*. It means you’ll need to show the banks genuine savings and proof of funds which can include the FHOG.
*Funds to complete: Means the proof of funds required to complete the purchase, including:
- A deposit (e.g. 5%, 10% or 20%)
- Stamp duty, land tax payable on the purchase; and
- Fees payable to the Land Registry to register the transfer of the property to you, as well as any mortgage; fees and disbursements
- First Home-Owners Grant (If eligible, this depends upon the bank’s lending policy)
What types of properties are eligible?
All property types are eligible for the scheme. This includes houses, apartments, house and land packages and off-the-plan purchases. All are fair game as long as the owner-occupier is building a new home or significantly renovating an existing home.
- “a comprehensive home building contract to build a new home as your principal place of residence where the value of the house and land does not exceed $750 000 (inclusive of GST);
- a contract with a registered builder to substantially renovate your principal place of residence where the renovation contract is between $150 000 and $750 000 (inclusive of GST), and where the value of your existing house and land does not exceed $1.5 million;
- a contract to buy an off the plan/new home as your principal place of residence where construction had not commenced prior to 4 June 2020, where the value of the house and land does not exceed $750 000 (inclusive of GST).”
Do you need to be a first-home buyer?
No. The HomeBuilder Grant is available for both first-home buyers and existing homeowner-occupiers. Although it’s obviously a huge advantage for first-home buyers who can also access the FHOG.
The only criteria are that; you’re Australian, older than 18 years of age and earning at least $125,000 PA as an individual or $200,000 PA per couple. You must use the grant to spend more than $150,000 on purchasing the home, or on renovations. The cost of the new home must be under $750,000 or the value of the existing home cannot be more than $1.5 million.
Executive Manager of Economic Research Cameron Kusher says “The HomeBuilder Scheme is set to primarily benefit first-home buyers wanting to build a new home as it will be offered in addition to the current state and federal first-home buyer grants and exemptions”.
Are you interested in the HomeBuilder Grant but need help to make it happen?
At Capital Properties, our team is dedicated to educating, mentoring and guiding you through successful property investment. We can help you choose the right block of land and provide you with all the information you need to purchase in the best location. We can also help you with a new build consultative service for owner occupiers and investors. This ensures you get the ultimate house design on an ideal block.
We know consistency is vital, so one of our team members will remain your point of contact throughout the build process to make sure everything goes to plan.
Sounds interesting right?
Where to start? We can assist with builds in Wollongong, Western Sydney, Central Coast, Newcastle, Hunter Valley, Port Macquarie, Northern Rivers, Goulburn, The Mid to Far North NSW Coast and many other areas.
Learn and grow with a Capital Properties discovery session.
Book your free discovery session today and we’ll get to know each other, explore goals and discover property investment possibilities for you based on your current Defence pay rate and lifestyle.